Featured Post

Writing My First Fantasy Book

So, I am writing my first book, and yes, it is a fantasy. I was first inspired to write this book due to a senior year English class writin...

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Overcoming Obstacles

I have what, in my opinion, is a pretty cool scene, in which my heroine assaults the hero under the misconception that he has done something unforgivable.
The difficulty I am having, is that under the latest revisions in the earlier chapters, this scene is going to have to be moved, or rather, played out a little bit differently. There is some pretty good dialogue, and also a well played out scene in which the heroine has assistance from her companions. However, these companions will not fit at present unless I can find a new way of introducing them, but I don't know if I can make it work in a practical way. Also, the dialogue will need to undergo some cuts and rewriting, which is a pity, because I really like the original scenario, but I don't know how to preserve it, again, without it becoming illogical and impractical.
So, my current challenge is to play around with ways of steering the plot in a direction that will allow for this scene to undergo as little change as possible. Removing the heroine's companions isn't such a big deal. It's mostly her motives and reasons for her anger that I'd like to retain. About half of it would work quite well under the current storyline, and she will already be where she needs to be to strike.

How do other authors overcome annoying little obstacles in their plot without compromising believability?

1 comment:

  1. It may be more useful to simply keep forging ahead with the story to its conclusion and leave any plot inconsistencies to the re-write and editorial process. One of the surest ways to forestall forward progress (and story completion) is to let your internal editor take over on a daily basis. To do so invites the kind of frustration that can kill the creative process. Also, once you've written the story to its conclusion, you'll have the big picture to work with -- which can open up new avenues for resolving any plot inconsistencies. My two cents. Best, Andy

    ReplyDelete