I have a question to put to the men who are fans of fantasy books.
Especially you macho types!
First: a lot of stories incorporate some level of a love story, even if it's of a lesser focus. At what point does the love story get to be too much for your masculine sensibilities?
Second: concerning sex, implied or otherwise. How much is too much? (I'm talking about the amount of sex that is mentioned in a book. I don't care to know how much you have sex. 😜)
Purpose of this question: I'm writing a fantasy book, and yes, there is a love story. Of course, being a woman, I like that sort of thing, but I'd like my book to be interesting to both female and male readers.
Personally, my preferences in books knows two extremes. On the chick-flick end of the spectrum, think Jane Austen. But what I really like is way off on the other end of the spectrum. Think Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Sagas— bloody, violent, full of gory battle scenes, a lot of crude language, and absolutely NOT targeting female audiences! Sex scenes are limited to a more implied reference, descriptives along the lines of "rutting", and not much more than that. And of course, I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's discworld series. His style is geared towards a much broader audience, and he avoids overly sentimental and sexuality. But he does like his little jokes. 😉
In my book, I am struggling to find the correct balance for both the love story, as well as the level of intimacy. What I don't want to do is lower the quality to the equivalent of pornography. Yes, I'd like to work in a few smoky scenes as befits the overall plot and romance, without overdoing it.
It would be very helpful for me to get feedback from male readers, telling me what they do and don't like in a fantasy book that has a love story woven in. Or would most masculine male readers prefer to avoid a romance altogether? If that is the case, then there wouldn't be much point gearing my book to target male audiences equally, because the love story is a key component to what I am working on.
No comments:
Post a Comment