So, I am writing my first book, and yes, it is a fantasy. I was first inspired to write this book due to a senior year English class writing assignment. The assignment was to write a short story following the hero cycle.
Well, I was very excited about this assignment, since this was a theme I really love! Knights, warriors, magic, elves, etc! Of course, ever the procrastinator, I put off beginning my short story until the night before it was due, when the creative juices finally began to flow.
Funnily enough, I scored higher than any other student in my class, not only with a perfect score, but also extra credit on the story I wrote, which was several times longer than the assignment called for. Yes, I know, bragging rights, even if only for a small accomplishment. But it was as a direct result of that seemingly insignificant accomplishment, that I received the motivation to write a book. My teacher had encouraged me to develop my short story, and I took his suggestion to heart.
Over the years, I've gotten rather sidetracked from writing, and my story took a back burner for a while. From time to time, I'd come back to it, only to scrap everything and start new, every time. Until now.
Finally, I have the inspiration I needed to move the story along. My plot is thickening. My characters are developed and continuing to develop. Ideas are streaming in, and in these last few months, I have managed to put more work into this project than ever before. I still have a long way to go, but I am confident that this time I will finish it!
In fact, what I am considering is turning this into a series, but my mind is not yet made up. Time will tell!
Well, I was very excited about this assignment, since this was a theme I really love! Knights, warriors, magic, elves, etc! Of course, ever the procrastinator, I put off beginning my short story until the night before it was due, when the creative juices finally began to flow.
Funnily enough, I scored higher than any other student in my class, not only with a perfect score, but also extra credit on the story I wrote, which was several times longer than the assignment called for. Yes, I know, bragging rights, even if only for a small accomplishment. But it was as a direct result of that seemingly insignificant accomplishment, that I received the motivation to write a book. My teacher had encouraged me to develop my short story, and I took his suggestion to heart.
Over the years, I've gotten rather sidetracked from writing, and my story took a back burner for a while. From time to time, I'd come back to it, only to scrap everything and start new, every time. Until now.
Finally, I have the inspiration I needed to move the story along. My plot is thickening. My characters are developed and continuing to develop. Ideas are streaming in, and in these last few months, I have managed to put more work into this project than ever before. I still have a long way to go, but I am confident that this time I will finish it!
In fact, what I am considering is turning this into a series, but my mind is not yet made up. Time will tell!
No comments:
Post a Comment